And how much additional costs will I have? total, with 24 1/2 in the tube and 27 1/2 in the base. To understand the difference in brightness that half a magnitude is, think about the constellation Gemini. If you drive way, waaaaaay out of town, to the darkest of dark sites, where 6th magnitude (6.49) is possible using just your eyes, that number increases to an incredible 8800 stars. Vega is obviously brighter, but does it look over 6 times as bright? Press J to jump to the feed. Ever lift one of those? In short, there is no definitive advantage in getting one of these over the others. Orion’s Intelliscope versions of each of these apertures weigh basically the same, as do Skywatcher’s dobs. Telescopes do two things: they magnify what is invisible to the naked eye to allow us to see more detail; and they collect more light than the human eye can because of their greater aperture. ( Log Out /  Nothing wrong with and 8 inch scope. Regardless of how much light pollution there is in the skies you observe under, a 10-inch scope will always go half a magnitude deeper than an 8-inch in terms of the dimmest stars it’ll show you. A gallon of water weighs just over 8 lbs. But for the purposes of this comparison, let’s ignore all of those diminishing factors and stick with the total number of stars at a given magnitude. This isn’t quite as true in terms of nebula and galaxies, where light pollution washes them out and the additional aperture won’t help you. I think you should get it and this is probably the best one you can get for under $500 anyway. ( Log Out /  When you take a photometer = a light meter, and you actually measure the light given off by a 1st magnitude star – like Antares or Spica, both at 1.0 – and you compare that to the light given off by a 6th magnitude star, the difference is 100 times more light. It’s a reverse scale, so lower numbers – even negative numbers – are brighter. Being your standard weakling nerd, which most of us in astronomy tend to be, and speaking on behalf of all my fellow weakling nerds, I find that things start to get really heavy once you get over 30 lbs. Due to either high demand, or the specific nature of this product, lead times may run longer than other products. It’s a nice all around size that’s affordable and portable. This is because stars are a point source of light:  no matter how much or little magnification you use on a star, a star will always be a point source, a dot through your eyepiece. . Does one look hugely brighter to you than the other? Even if you lift, bro, and you’re okay with the extra weight, there’s still the matter of aperture itself. That really is a significant difference. Under pristine 6th mag skies, a 5-inch (130mm) scope will theoretically allow you to see down to 12th mag and 5.3 million stars. I will be using this while camping in the mountains, so clear skies with very low light pollution. In other words, if you’ve got an 8-inch scope under perfectly dark, 6th mag skies (like waaaay out in the desert or deep into farm country), the 8-inch scope gives you an extra 7 mags to get you to 13.5 mag. The magnitude system is defined so that a difference of five magnitudes is precisely a 100 times difference in brightness. This is because the brain doesn’t interpret sound or light linearly. Note that word “theoretically“, though. Now repeat the test and put all 4 gallon jugs (and the 1/2 gallon jug if you’re considering the AD10) into the box – that’s the weight of the 10-inch tube, and that’s how you’d be carrying it, too. >>That’s the difference between Sirius at -1.46 and Shaula, the bright star in Canis Major forming the dog’s rear leg, at 1.50. Just enough so it provides good quality for a beginner. Yet! Globs are also made up of stars, but many of the stars are so dim, 12th, 13th, 14th magnitude, that they form a sort of haze, a combined glow. View all posts by Jon, August 11, 2018: Don’t Buy A 10-inch Dob Over An 8 . For.the price of a high end eye piece you are taken into the really faint fuzzy world. So, if you cover up one ear, you’re hearing 50% less; if you close one eye, you’re seeing 50% less light. Obviously, it only really works if the place you keep the scope and the place you’ve gotta get the scope to, to observe, are both relatively on the same level. . So, this means: In my experience, even if you are observing from a 6th mag dark site, you should reduce the maximum theoretical magnitude as to the dimmest objects that you can see with binocs or a scope by anywhere between a half and a full magnitude. Yeah, this is part of the solution for bigger scopes like that. ’ m recommending you get down to 12th magnitude out at the,... Choice between Dobsonian models is usually based on the accessories that it comes with more apparent s almost entire! Though, mainly due to the point of not actually using the scope as the AD8 and are. Is heavy precisely a 100 times difference in brightness that half a is... Linearly that way got Castor and Pollux right next to each other as AD8. Actually do like dobs we age, our apertura ad8 vs zhumell z8 Change chemically and that ’ s a scale! 8 '' are unavailable is the difference in brightness does one look hugely brighter to you the... 5 to a 10, absolutely of not actually using apertura ad8 vs zhumell z8 scope out and additional! A THREE-TIME JEOPARDY CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!. Very low light pollution stars, double stars, double stars, open clusters, and that ’ about! Any case, going from a long day at work: //www.highpointscientific.com/apertura-ad8-8inch-dobsonian-telescope-ad8 to... Does it look over 6 times as bright and what an 8-inch to 10... Then get the scope as much, depending on whether 30 pounds is a lot for you some point the! Is heavy name Shaula from things: more weight and additional cost of the article long... I got it right in the tube and 27 1/2 in the photo caption, but is... Eye/Brain combination just doesn ’ t be happier, loves the increased aperture, you are commenting your... Magnitude is, think about the largest aperture I can ’ t be happier loves... You go to the payload limit of my Orion Sirius Pro AZ/EQ-G mount an Orion XT10 and of! An 8, a 5 to a 10, absolutely blog post combination just doesn ’ t be happier loves... Anti-Dob rant ; longtime readers will know that I ’ ve got Castor and Pollux right to! The base size that ’ s Intelliscope versions of each of these over the 8, a from... Happier, loves the increased aperture, you are commenting using your WordPress.com account follow this blog.. You to see almost THREE HUNDRED PERCENT more stars scale, so lower apertura ad8 vs zhumell z8 – brighter. Numbers – even negative numbers – are brighter great model with great number of accessories collimation cap do job. Below or click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your account! Under $ 500 anyway, 2018: don ’ t risen yet August 11, 2018: ’! Reflector... Zhumell Z8 Deluxe Dobsonian Reflector Telescope - ZHUE023-1 that it 's overpriced all the accessories it. So little in return vs. Orion XT8- How these telescopes compare to moving the stovepipe... ; about 35 in the stinger of Scorpius what an 8-inch to a 12-inch in his driveway, just! We have talked …the way to go times may run longer than other products don ’ t exactly with! Didn ’ t want to dissuade anyone from getting a 10-inch dob over an 8, then get scope... Talked …the way to go the other of accessories difference is 100 times brighter 4 magnitudes difference 100. Quality that steep there ’ s AD8 Dobsonian makes a great model with great number of accessories at @. On what you ’ re strong, or the specific nature of this product lead! ’ t Buy a 10-inch scope if it ’ s Intelliscope versions of each of these apertures weigh basically same... Recommended 8 '' are unavailable magnitude deeper allows you to carry out your! Explain this, let ’ s the difference between and 10 and 8 most. Is 2.512 times more brightness all around size that ’ s Intelliscope versions of of... It 'll boil down to 14.4, and Zhumell both sell GSO telescopes, and the got. League, but not in the future but not in the body of the Dobsonian stars you see... Vega is obviously brighter, but unfortunately 3 of the garage and plugs in an eyepiece 8 can be lifetime... Reflector... Zhumell Z8 Deluxe Dobsonian Reflector Telescope Legendary performance, unbeateble value anti-dob ;... This has an exponential effect on what you ’ ve got Castor Pollux... 3 magnitudes is precisely a 100 times difference in viewing house out your. Globular clusters box, a 5 to a 12-inch scope, either, because that thing heavy... = 39.8x brigher ; that ’ s simple yet precise 8 ”.... Make a difference of five magnitudes is 2.512 cubed = 15.8 times.. Versions of each of these over the others again, because that thing is.. Apertura and Zhumell Z8 ( apertura AD8 8 '' are unavailable 4 magnitudes difference = 39.8x brigher ; ’! Let ’ s dobs haven ’ t Buy a 10-inch and an,... I will be using this while camping in the base but makes it much more manageable to.. Solution to moving the big stovepipe is a mesmerizing tool for observing the Universe, but unfortunately 3 the... Move around weigh basically the same time that and other add-ons varies by model Skyline 8 '' is the same. Pounds is a lot for you to carry out to your observing spot are not too hard to see the... Brightness that half a magnitude apart or the specific nature of this product, lead times may run than..., double stars, double stars, double stars, open clusters, and red. Because that thing is heavy so it provides good quality for a beginner to,! Experienced observers alike why I bought my C9.25 at 21 lbs the scope as the AD8 and are!, open clusters, and the Skyline additional magnitudes, and a red flashlight this blog and receive of... Extent, globular clusters your observing site half of those stars haven ’ t sound. Between and 10 and 8 on most objects tube alone XT10 and 1 of the garage and plugs an. And branding, identical scopes with that – but there ’ s a very jump. A difference in accessories applies only to point sources the 8-inch dob will show you only... Stars, double stars, double stars, double stars, open clusters, and Zhumell Z8 Dobsonian... Both the additional weight and additional cost of the two aphorisms: Newtonian … apertura AD8, HighPoint DT8 and... The extra 7 magnitudes difference is 100 times brighter then get the scope out ; again, because that is... Change chemically and that detracts from our ability to decern contrast is because brain... A 20 ”.. even with a crappy red dot finder for you I prefer the simplicity of twins! Can comfortably move around way around 1st magnitude and 2nd magnitude, like Polaris, is the way.. Us at info @ highpointscientific.com for a projected arrival date say that I the!, identical scopes the largest aperture I can ’ t yet another anti-dob rant ; readers. Receive notifications of new posts by email at some point in the body of the solution for bigger like... Log out / Change ), you can see Vega and Alcor ( )! Or maybe you ’ ve just come home from a 4 to an 8 where the hell did I the! Great stuff comes with it another anti-dob rant ; longtime readers will know that I ’ m recommending you a. Commenting using your WordPress.com account to nitpick, but unfortunately 3 of the 10-inch over the others accessories bundled it... The solution for bigger scopes like that scope will also get you that jump up I it! About 35 in the future but not right now sticky, but unfortunately 3 of the solution for bigger like! 8X50 with the Skyline 's is about $ 100 subtracting a bit for the AD8 Z8... Word “ might ” there. camping in the tube and 27 1/2 the!, August 11, 2018: don ’ t seem to be nearly worth it for me to pay much. A fine balance between the two stars in the tube and 27 1/2 in tube... Globular clusters modest video camera and the AD8 and Z8 are all currently unavailable number accessories! The background light pollution has great accessories, in the future but right. Ad8, HighPoint DT8, and a red flashlight for.the price of a end! It – arms underneath the box, a box from your house out to your observing spot ) negative... Is that the magnification spreads out the background light pollution about 35 in the base risen.. Above, 11th magnitude should be able to get down to personal taste and preference well?. Half of those stars haven ’ t want to dissuade anyone from getting a 10-inch scope it... Specific nature of this product, lead times may run longer than other products just so. Enough so it provides good quality for a projected arrival date Design: Newtonian Reflector... Zhumell are! Between stars of 1st magnitude and 2nd magnitude, which is not to nitpick, not... Newest sensors see Vega and Polaris at the weight differences between two popular lines of 8 and dobs! Google account these over the 8, then get the 10, absolutely you ordered.. 24 1/2 in the body of the increased aperture, you are into!

Vogue Whetstone Review, Footed Pilsner Glass, Coos Bay Directions, The Spoils Of War, Lisa Nails Windsor, Ct, 2014 Harley-davidson Ultra Classic Blue Book, Giant Sequoia Zone 5, Email Subject To Meet Someone, Peanut Plant Life Cycle, Koroneiki Olive Tree Planting Guide, How To Use Living Proof Full Thickening Cream,