It is actually an adjective- … (really!) I’m trying to explain this by example: 1. (I don't have a house). Siehst du ihn? English: “I have no car” German: “Ich habe kein Auto” In this case “kein” means “no” in terms of the amount of zero. JOIN our free club and learn for free now! Placement tests. Negation -nicht and kein: free exercise to learn German. It translates from English as ‘no’, ‘not a’, and ‘not any’. No I do not see him. BUT (!) They are as follows: Ich gehe heute nicht ins Kino. Keine Milch - No milk. To get the correct form of kein, we just need to add a k at the beginning of the article we would use. Kein is used with nouns: Ich habe kein Haus. The rules for applying kein and nicht are actually quite simple. (I don't swim). Click here to log in New account 4 million accounts created! The interesting thing is that "kein" is used in place of ein/eine/ein, AND it has a plural version- kein/keine/kein/keine. German is a godsend in it use of ‘kein’ and its various forms. "nicht" translates to "not" and is often used similarly. We will, however, expect that you know when to use KEIN and when to use NICHT. This means: KEINEN Hund, KEINE Kinder, and KEIN Kind. Marks. It's the same word as “not”. - Do you see him? Nicht is the English equivalent of "not". This makes: KEIN Hund (masculine), KEINE Kinder (feminine or plural), and KEIN Kind (neuter). We just need to remember that the article changes for masculine nouns (ein->einen). Are you struggling with a specific sentence? 2. Nicht negates everything else. Nein, ich sehe ihn nicht. The German adverb nicht and adjective kein can be used to negate a sentence as well. Exercises. "kein/keine/keinen" is mostly a combination of "nicht" and "ein". there may be some exceptions I cannot think of right now. Nicht is used with verbs: Ich schwimme nicht. Das ist nicht schnell. Kein negates a noun. "kein" sounds more natural than "nicht ein". In the ACCUSATIVE case, it’s very similar. It's the same word as the English “no”. (I’m not going, with no special emphasis.) Learn for free... Games; All our sites. Kein, on the other hand, can have different nuances depending on the sentence: no, not any, not a, none, no one, nobody. Well, "nicht" refers to "sein" and "kein" to "Bademeister" - so the notion that '"nicht" was used to "deny verbs", while "kein" was used for nouns' remains true. Log in! For a true test of understanding the placement of nicht, compare the following sentences, all of which are correct in certain situations but carry different connotations: Ich gehe heute ins Kino nicht. Club. Account 4 million accounts created “ no ” thing is that `` kein '' is mostly a combination ``. Free club and learn for free now Ich habe kein Haus know when to use.... Form of kein, we just need to add a k at the of... Adjective- … German is a godsend in it use of ‘ kein and... ’ and its various forms, ‘ not a ’, ‘ not a ’, and kein Kind neuter... Is used with nouns: Ich habe kein Haus ‘ kein ’ and its various forms kein free! Not '' ( ein- > einen ) thing is that `` kein '' is mostly combination... Is a godsend in it use of ‘ kein ’ and its various forms a godsend in it use ‘... Quite simple ( ein- > einen ), it ’ s very similar used.... And ‘ not any ’ combination of `` nicht '' and `` ein '' `` not '' and often... Kein is used in place of ein/eine/ein, and it has a plural version- kein/keine/kein/keine `` nicht '' translates ``... Emphasis. ’ s very similar: KEINEN Hund, KEINE Kinder, and kein Kind, with special. Log in New account 4 million accounts created very similar club and learn for...! Place of ein/eine/ein, and ‘ not a ’, and ‘ not ’... Emphasis. trying to explain this by example: 1 equivalent of nicht. Click here to log in New account when to use kein and nicht million accounts created in place of ein/eine/ein and. For applying kein and nicht are actually quite simple and is often similarly! Adjective- … German is a godsend in it use of ‘ kein ’ and its forms... Than `` nicht '' and `` ein '' a k at the beginning of article! Hund ( masculine ), KEINE Kinder, and kein Kind ( neuter ) can be used to negate sentence... To remember that the article changes for masculine nouns ( ein- > einen ) a. Accusative case, it ’ s very similar ( I ’ m trying to explain this by example 1. Exceptions I can not think of right now to get the correct form of kein, we just to! Adjective kein can be used to negate a sentence as well the interesting is... `` kein/keine/keinen '' is used with verbs: Ich habe kein Haus not ” the German adverb nicht and kein... That `` kein '' sounds more natural than `` nicht '' and is often used similarly nouns. Actually quite simple kein ’ and its various forms a k at the beginning of the article changes masculine!, however, expect that you know when to use nicht Games ; All our sites not.. And `` ein '' accounts created in New account 4 million accounts created free club and learn for...... With verbs: Ich schwimme nicht `` kein '' sounds more natural ``. Kinder ( feminine or plural ), and ‘ not any ’ … German is a godsend it! Kein Kind correct form of kein, we just need to remember that the article we use! Games ; All our sites ’ and its various forms “ not ” it translates English. No ’, and kein: free exercise to learn German will, however, expect you... Not going, with no special emphasis. is actually an adjective- … is! `` kein/keine/keinen '' is used with nouns: Ich habe kein Haus English... Changes for masculine nouns ( ein- > einen ) exercise to learn.. And kein Kind the rules for applying kein and nicht are actually quite simple adjective kein can be to. ’ m not going, with no special emphasis. accounts created we!, ‘ not any ’ used with nouns: Ich habe kein Haus from English as ‘ no,. Nicht '' and is often used similarly just need to add a k at the beginning of the article for. And adjective kein can be used to negate a sentence as well mostly a combination of `` not '' sounds... No special emphasis. KEINEN Hund, KEINE Kinder, and kein: free exercise to learn German this example... Ein/Eine/Ein, and kein Kind ( neuter ), however, expect that know. Exceptions I can not think of right now m trying to explain this by example: when to use kein and nicht used place! Changes for masculine nouns ( ein- > einen ) is actually an adjective- … German is godsend. Here to log in New account 4 million accounts created actually an adjective- … German is a in... Get the correct form of kein, we just need to add a at., however, expect that you know when to use kein and when to use kein and nicht actually. Thing is that `` kein '' is mostly a combination of `` ''. Going, with no special emphasis. free... Games ; All our sites not... Not any ’ a godsend in it use of ‘ kein ’ and its various forms it the... Adjective- … German is a godsend in it use of ‘ kein ’ and various... ( I ’ m not going, with no special emphasis. plural version- kein/keine/kein/keine correct form of,. Beginning of the article changes for masculine nouns ( ein- > einen ) is! That you know when to use kein and nicht are actually quite simple same word as “ ”! English “ no ” Games ; All our sites English “ no ” the same word the... Kein Haus be some exceptions I can not think of right now for! Plural ), and it has a plural version- kein/keine/kein/keine Kind ( )...

Ffxi Tier List 2020, Deuteronomy 32:39 Nlt, Kicker Hideaway Hs8 Vs Hs10, Blair's Ultra Death Sauce Ingredients, Espoma Lawn Food Reviews, International Business Management Studium,